March is Nutrition Month! The link between food and good health cannot be underestimated. Registered dietitians play a vital role in nutrition guidance that supports the unique needs of NWT residents.
Eating a variety of healthy food each day helps to manage weight, prevent illness, and promote overall well-being.
This Nutrition Month, practice healthy eating by:
- Planning meals: Being prepared makes healthy eating easier.
- Cooking and eating together: Getting together to cook and eat helps to nurture healthy eating habits that last a lifetime.
- Shopping wisely: Unhealthy drinks and foods can cost more than you think. Make a shopping list to help you stay focused on buying vegetables (frozen, dried, canned, or fresh), whole grains, dried beans and lentils and lean meats and fish.
- Eating locally: Learn to harvest and prepare local wild game meats, birds or fish. Try gardening this year to bring more vegetables to your table.
This month, consider registering for the two-part “Are You Ready” Weight Management Program, taught by NWT Registered Dietitians and offered online for FREE to NWT residents. This course will focus on the best ways to manage your weight while enjoying a healthy lifestyle.
when: Two options:
- March 8th and 15th, 2023 6:30pm-8:30pm OR
- May 10th and 17th, 2023 6:30pm-8:30pm
where: On line
How: Register by emailing healthpromo[email protected] with your full name and the community you live in
“Are You Ready?” classes will soon be offered in French. Please email [email protected] to let us know if you would like to be added to the waitlist for French courses.
For more information on the “Are Your Ready” program, please visit Dietitian Services and Program. For more information on healthy eating and cooking, visit Food and Nutrition.
For media requests, please contact:
Department of Health and Social Services
Government of the Northwest Territories
(867) 767-9052 ext. 49034